Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Why This Matters

At the request of my husband--a very wise request, I might add--I have begun this blog as a forum for clarifying my views on the things I speak passionately about. Last week Quivering Daughters came out, a book that has caused more than a few sharp intakes of breath in my circles. And my name is printed demurely, but assertively, as the editor on the front cover. I know it is a controversial book for some. I know I have friends and acquaintances who lovingly question my judgement being involved in this project. I know also, sadly, that I now have former friends who were once friends, because I chose to edit this book. But I must praise this book for its courage to speak openly about sin, and to administer grace to hurting women by the power of the gospel.

I have publicly proclaimed my distaste for much of what patriarchalism does in the name of Christ, and do not regret it. But it not an easy thing for me, considering how I courted patriarchalism in varying degrees of my own free will for many years. And it is not a simple thing either, since I do not consider myself to have changed theologically one iota in the process. Rather, I believe I have come to understand more fully my gospel calling as a Christian woman, and also as a wife, mother, friend, daughter, and neighbor. I have learned to love the Lord with a depth and passion I simply never knew before.

In the posts that follow I will attempt to clarify what I, Megan, actually believe about specific themes and issues raised in the book. I will not attempt to clarify what others--including the author of Quivering Daughters, Hillary McFarland--believe. I could never do them justice, and would in fact I'm sure do the opposite. I pray that the Lord not only allows me to calm fears that I have gone off the deep end, but also to submit graciously to the sanctifcation of public scrutiny.

I do not know where the Lord will take this rather one-sided discussion, but I welcome any questions or concerns about the book or my views on the matters contained. Just as I have made a public declaration, I must now make a public record and take full responsibility, for my sake, for the sake of my family, and for the honor and glory of the Lord Jesus Christ.

5 comments:

  1. sounds like an interesting book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good idea! I look forward to the conversations that will evolve here. May the Holy Spirit bring grace to all who contribute, and both clarity and charity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Annette! This is my prayer as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I pray that the Lord not only allows me to calm fears that I have gone off the deep end..."

    I've been experiencing similar fears. Your words in this maiden post are a very close reflection of my own feelings. Thanks for sharing. I feel saner now...or at least less alone.

    ReplyDelete