Tuesday, July 6, 2010

On a Personal Note

I was a young woman just out of college, with no moorings except the new gift of eternal life, when a friend invited me to visit her family in Brooklyn. I had met her through a Christian website dedicated to talking about courtship. The Lord had used her pastor father’s writings to bring me to Christ months before, so I was naturally thrilled with gratitude and affection. And although I was a complete stranger to them, they welcomed me in as one of their own. I needed that welcome.

Family life in their home was so radically different than anything I could have imagined. It was often loud and busy, cramped with evidence of constant, never-stopping living. Piles of papers, news clippings taped to cabinets, music, whether played or recorded, seeping out of rooms, racks of clothing moving in and out of hands, food leaving the refrigerator almost as soon as it got in. People yelled, and squabbled, laughed, and danced. The aroma was quick, brisk and sure.

My friend and her younger sisters argued about clothes, hair, makeup, rides, friends. Sometimes a lot. Her pastor father and his wife (whom I admire more than any other woman I know) even argued once or twice in front of me (gasp!). I was shocked, but not by the arguments. I was shocked by the love. Never once did anyone in the family respond bitterly or with hostility toward one another. Sometimes they apologized with words, sometimes with actions, but even when they didn’t it was always graciously assumed. Even when they still disagreed. I had never seen a powerful love like this before. And I remember thinking to myself that when I had a family, this is what I wanted too. No, not the conflicts, but the grace that never pretended.

This was—and still is—the home of Steve and Jeanne Schlissel. It was a home in which grace ruled because nobody attempted to hide sin, and nobody used it as an excuse for sin (please don’t read that into this). It wasn’t a home where niceness and politeness had replaced true peace, but where Christians (and non-Christians too) were welcome to see themselves in the redeemed mess of life. The context of Ephesians chapter 2 reminds us that peace comes through grace, meaning that it assumes there will always be conflict that needs to be worked through. The Schlissel family worked hard at living this out.

I am telling this story first as a demonstration of my enduring love for the Schlissels. Because there are some who might read Quivering Daughters and, knowing my friendship with them, wonder whether my commitment to the book means I let my love grow cold. In the “Special Feature” article author Rachel Ramer calls Steve Schlissel an “isolationist,” and on page 58 his daughter and my friend, now Sarah Faith Hodges, is quoted as evidence that patriarchalists have gone too far with courtship. I understand the raised eyebrows, so I want to explain how I can be both passionately committed to Quivering Daughters and maintain my love for the Schlissels that I just described.

Actually, it’s quite easy. I know Steve’s and Sarah Faith’s positions have been misunderstood and taken out of context by both sides. (As have R.J. Rushdoony’s writings, also briefly mentioned in Ramer’s article). I know the Schlissel family intimately and am sorry that Ms. Ramer’s lack of familiarity with Steve Schlissel led her to call him an “isolationist.” No doubt, anybody who knows Steve and his tireless ministries over the years in things like providing counseling for abused women and ESL classes through Bible reading for immigrants, or his support of professional dance and fashion opportunities for his daughters, will laugh at the label too. And I also know that Sarah Faith’s views on courtship have changed over the years, marriage and children doing wonders for one’s perspective on life. However, though they’ve been misunderstood to be authoritarian patriarchalists, the reality is that some Christians have used Steve’s and Sarah Faith’s statements to support their own unbiblical views of authority, and this is why I did not object to their presence in Quivering Daughters. However misguided I think Ms. Ramer is on some points, her article makes many tremendously good points about patriarchal assumptions that more Christians would do well to consider instead of dismiss because of certain faults. The larger concern for Quivering Daughters is the practices of the patriarchal culture, not disputes over the theology of Christ and culture.

I am also telling this story as sort of a lecture to myself. I need to remind myself how the Schlissels taught me as a young Christian to work through disagreements with the grace of Christ. How they taught me to have a fervent love for others. Even for those who disagree with me about how dangerous the patriarchy is, and for those who have accused me of being a manipulator, a feminist, or worse because I am voicing my concerns.

I realize nobody knows exactly how many women and children are living demeaned and hopeless lives, separated from the love of God because of the abuse they suffer in the name of God. But the evidence strongly suggests that these are not isolated cases, and this can be hard to accept. We expect this type of culture of Muslims, but not of Christians. More importantly, though, I think we fear confronting sin when it might be in our own back yards. But it is hard for me to bear when the stories of these women and children are dismissed or diminished in favor of upholding a questionable Christian sub-culture. And so, I must preach myself the gospel through it. Just as Christ’s grace shows these victims how not to respond with bitterness toward their abusers, so it shows me how to offer grace through this conflict over the patriarchy. The grace of Christ still slowly, painfully, and eternally covers. This was the grace I learned how to practice from the Schlissels. And I must practice it, no matter how frustrated I get or how tense the conflict.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book, nor seen the critique of me/my dad's writings therein, but you're so right. Though exposed to many diverse cultural influences in my early years, as living in a big city offers, one thing I had never seen was the potentially very ugly side of the Christian home. I never understood how someone (you aren't the first) could see my sisters and me squabbling and say "Wow you guys love each other so much," when that wasn't the impression we thought we were leaving.
    Fact is, we had/have a kind of rough and real love for one another, true and loyal but not above fighting for our own interests. In the context of such love and tolerance by our parents - almost an "idle parenting" mentality (we were left to ourselves a lot in the safety of our property/neighborhood, not controlled), I could not imagine what problem a young girl would have when her father said "Nah, that's not the right guy for you" or "You are going to change your outfit before going anywhere, young lady." Obviously (to me) it was in my best interest, whether I liked it or not. (I sometimes didn't.) I was comparing that kind of authority with what I saw challenged on the sparse TV we were allowed to watch with discretion - you know, the girl rolling her eyes at dad and totally disregarding what he said.
    The concept that there was another kind of dynamic - one where the dad was just using Biblical language to indulge his selfishness and other faults - was not real to me until later in life when I heard stories of truly oppressed young women coming from these homes - homes that used the kind of articles as I wrote on courtship as justification for their over controlling mentality. I see that now and have no problem with people like Hillary calling us on those words (especially without a living context).

    But on a personal note, what kind of controlling isolationist "lets" his daughter(s) pursue higher education, dance college, music study, entrepreneurship, the world of financial services, or even young marriage if that is what her heart desires? What kind of patriarchalist tells his daughter, "I've taught you well, and if you think this man is right for you, I trust your judgment"? My dad's not in the same ballpark as the people critiqued in the book (from what you described).

    Thanks for the beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it was nearly three years ago that Sarah responded on another online forum regarding the Chalcedon article, and I think she did a fine job of explaining things in context of her relationship with her father.

    Semantics become a problem, I think, and that is often a limitation of our own writing. From the context of reading Pastor/Rabbi Schissel's work over more than a decade and from Sarah's qualification of the details about her relationship, I understand that it was one drenched in love and mutual trust. What I think that the Schissel's understood as a sacred honor and responsibility, others only understand as cause for objectification of daughters. A mighty gulf separates the two perspectives, yet I know that the article has been used to justify the reduction of daughters to property. I believe it is this type of misuse of the original article that the book addresses.

    In other words, I am certain that Sarah was not kept sequestered as a 25 year old, denied a drivers license, denied medical care, or denied other options of "serving her father's vision" -- permitted only to sew doll clothes for the family to sell in their business. (I laughingly say that if my father had been of this mind, I'd still be at home cooking for him, busy with the diversion of reloading shells and tying flies in the basement to help serve with his sportsman's vision!)

    But, Sarah, consider that you are in the best of company! Some of the groups that objectify daughters in this and other ways also have twisted the words of grace to be understood as legalism. Merited favor has been defined as a mystical substance that one earns through lists of works and extra-biblical mandates which somehow impart. a guaranteed insulation against harm. Some ex-members of some of these groups understood grace as an earned substantive something that wards away what they've called "sin cooties." Grace through faith and spiritual poverty are necessary for our initial conversion, then grace suddenly becomes a merited substance earned through works --exactly what it is not. They see the Gospel as a formula that can be worked to control outcomes as opposed to the process by which we are transformed into the Image of Christ. Yet they look to the same Scriptures as we do, seeing something very different in them.

    Wear the misunderstanding as a badge of honor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh!

    What redundant person wrote that last convoluted comment? I could have pared that down significantly! No more late night blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Cindy, what wonderful self-critiquing! Did you need an editor by any chance? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "But it is hard for me to bear when the stories of these women and children are dismissed or diminished in favor of upholding a questionable Christian sub-culture."

    And that is precisely the point of my own meager attempts at speaking out. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan,
    I might be beyond editing help! I am emotional (clearly) about the contrasts between relationships of trust that I trust that Sarah and Steve had and so many of the young women that have had a very different experience. It is very hard for me, and that's when I tend to get convoluted.

    With prayers for this blog on my heart, I dreamed about a lovely sermon that I heard Steve preach about how God KEPT Israel and how significant that "keeping" is for us. Our sovereign God keeps us -- something I think of in terms of the aorist tense of salvation in the Greek. Aorist tense is ongoing past, present, and future. We are continually being saved and renewed. This, for me, echoes the beauty of the OT Scriptures of God keeping Israel.

    With such a deep and inspired understanding that Steve Schilssel communicated in that moving message about God's provision for Israel, I can imagine how he translates that in love for his daughter. God trusted Israel, letting her make so many mistakes, over and over again in the OT, even though He knew that His nation would. He did not statically control Israel, but He allowed the nation to make mistakes to use it to teach people of His love and faithfulness. That history taught us many things about the promise and hope of the Messiah. I imagine that this is a good model for the liberty Steve extended to his daughter.

    What a beautiful Sunday morning preface for worship today, a precious remembrance that God gave to me in my dreams as a consequence of this discussion.

    ReplyDelete